7.12.11

Home made hex bases

The latest advances in this project have been small but at least they're home made. I had dug up one of the metal hex bases I have bought a bunch of years ago from my stash. That I used to draw an outline for two bases on a sheet of polystyrene and then I sliced them off.

After pondering a while I decided that a lonely flat base doesn't cut it so I measured six new slices for the raised edges and tried to trim them to shape a bit while gluing them on. For some weird reason the end result didn't look as awesome as I had thought :p In any case, I test fitted both Omnis on the base and I noticed that while the Summoner stood there nicely, Hellbringer didn't exactly sit well on its place. Maybe that's because of the different angles of the Omnis' feet and their own tiny bases, which makes their feet fit on just a tiny bit differently from each other.

Oh well. For the other base I cut slightly smaller edge pieces. They fit very nicely and looked better in general but they left small gaps in the edges. That's not a problem, it'll be easy to fix!


As anyone can see, my scratchbuilder's skills are very untrained and underused so all the edges were rough and bad-looking. I spent quite a moment filing all the outer edges flat(ter). This material is at least workable on so I didn't even need to swear while working. Or take out the Dremel.
This made them look slightly better, in my honest opinion.


To finish up nicely I painted the visible surfaces with Tamiya's Flat Brown. After it had dried up I glued the 'Mechs on the bases. I think they're just fine.
Next I'll fill the bases and finish the BattleTech IntroBox Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment