Hiding the glassI started working on the glass pane by first painting the frames with black-grey on the inside and while on it, painted the cockpit's insides with the same paint. As soon as the canopy piece had dried, I covereed it with three strips of masking tape and cut the excesses off (at this point it was very useful to see the grey-black through the tape, as it made cutting so much easier).
After a moment of letting the paint dry I grabbed a sepia-coloured Citadel paint (Citadel Shade: Seraphim Sepia) and applied it on the inner surface. My plan was to get a nice shade on it, not golden like some planes seem to have, but something similar-ish. The liquid just didn't seem to catch on, so I didn't spend too much time with it and just white glued the canopy on the plane (knowing that if I had to adjust something, it'd be quick and easy to crack the canopy off again). Before I did it I even remembered to glue the targeting glass pane on the dashboard.
Grey as a baseI thought that the best approach would be to paint the whole plane with one tone and then finetune everything else. So I airbrushed both sides with grey (VMA 71120 USAF Medium Grey). After that had dried, I took out the masking tape and began working on a maybe slightly tolerable paint pattern that I had seen. There the wing's edges were lighter and had sharp edges. As did the nose cone, with a sharp salmiac pattern. Then on the top of the plane there'd be a fuzzy darker shape.
Thanks to the angle of the horizontal stabilizers, masking them was surprisingly challenging. The nose cone also took a bit of time because of the zig-zagging salmiac shapes, but it was at least very easy to do. In short: I only protected the edges of the plane so that I could very quickly and easily airbrush the light grey (VMA 71121 USAF Light Grey) from well-chosen angles. While I was painting the horizontal stabilizers I used post-it notes as additional dynamic protectors so that there was no overspray. To protect the underside of the plane from the potential overspray I applied a few long strips of masking tape, just in case. 
The form-breakerAs soon as I had the light greys painted I loaded my airbrush with dark grey (VMA 71123 USAF Dark Grey) and shot a random shape on top of my model.
|With maskings on place...|