Mastodon

25.5.16

Fw-190: assembly, part 2

The wings

I started this session by masking the canopy pieces. In front of the openable part, according to some pics there was a length of "piano hinge" so I left a similar bit clear for the painting here as well.


Next up: I glued the wings in the airframe. Very nicely (and confusingly) they just fell in without any issues or fighting. The ones in the tail I had to adjust a bit a few times, because they tried to droop a bit. In the end they got in a good angle, in my uneducated opinion, thanks to all the pressing and readjusting I did while the glue was curing.




Before sealing the cockpit I glued in the final two pieces that came behind the pilot's head, but I forgot to take pics of them. Maybe this wasn't such a crucial step to be documented, anyway. Also, as usual, I glued the transparent pieces with white glue.


The landing gear

I'd say that the landing gear were simple but to me detailed enough. The strut was glued on the plate and onto the struts I glued the shock absorber's scissor piece. Before gluing them on I cleaned the seams off the wheels, but this time I didn't file them flat anywhere. I was about to grab my file but then I remembered, that this whole setup was going to be set at a curious angle and I would've most likely filed them very, very wrong.


The piston piece that took care of raising and lowering the landing gear both supported and held the landing gear struts nicely in the (hopefully) correct angle. For some curious reason the leftmost one looked like it was in a different angle than the rightmost one. Hmh.



A pylon

My building session was about to end and I finished that by gluing the tail wheel into its slot. Then I glued the pylon complex between the landing gear. I had decided that the pretty non-Project Mumblings-like approach I had thought of the last time was going to be the winner of this race: I'd install an extra fuel tank instead of a bomb.




Of course I'd install the drop tank after the painting and all. If I remembered correctly, there'd be a few decals on it, too, if I went mad and decided to use decals instead of painting everything like I used to do.

And the rest of the garbage

Right now my Focke-Wulf was only missing a few antenna and other odd bits. I was wondering why the pitot tube was molded into the wing piece, but the MG 151 cannon barrels were separate pieces. The nose also got a couple of funny lumps, which I guessed had something to do with the exhaust system, based on their location.

Without any drama I glued the last nine pieces of this puzzle. One can see clearly in the photos, that the nose bit was still loose and that's what it was going to be until I was done with the paintjob. Somehow I had got it in my head that it'd be easier to paint the radial engine and the result would be better if the propeller wasn't on the way.






Was that all? Now I had to say that building this one was amazingly easy, effortless and actually pretty enjoyable. Nothing fought against me annoyingly or bothered me in general. This was some exceptional behaviour from a plane model, I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment