11.1.17

Project II/17

The indirect fire is the best fire

I have always liked rocket launchers, they're just awesome devices. Years ago I've built three Nebelwerfers (15 cm NbW 41;30 cm NbW 42; Panzerwerfer auf SWS) and wanted to look at them from a different angle this time. For a long while I meant to get a classic Katjushka (BM-13) but the more I thought of it I wanted a more modern unit instead. I've witnessed 122 RakH 89 rocket launchers live (Chech RM-70) but I couldn't get a hold of a model of one - yet. They're bulky, but they look awesome. Still, I had to settle with some older hardware, a Soviet BM-21 rocket launcher built on an Ural 375D chassis.


Bits and pieces

The Trumpeter box revealed two matfuls of pieces mixed with some PE bits, a minuscule offering of decals and a set of large rubber tyres. All these would eat quite a bit of time. I also didn't think of checking if the set contained anything to full the forty tubes, or was it supposed to represent a post-firing state. I assumed the latter.




The instructions

A bit surprisingly the painting guide was very simple. A solid green frame with rubber-black wheels. I was thinking of doing something a tiny bit more entertaining myself.


The instructions were a handy booklet. The first proper page revealed a very interesting and nice detail: this had a modeled engine. I had really not expected that kind of a thing straight out of the box and was very pleased.

As my experiences with Trumpeter's ground-bound models have not been filled with the perfectness of pieces fitting together, I was somehow suspicious of how easy this build would be and was therefore mentally preparing for some swearing and fighting. Of course my memories may be from old kits and the reality (considering when this set was manufactured) may disagree, in which case I'd openly admit being wrong and prejudiced.








No comments:

Post a Comment