Mastodon

25.8.18

8


Time's a funny thing

It wasn't that long when I turned eight myself. Right?

Straightening the tags

Hypnotic gestures be damned, now we're working on numbers and other important things. For a good long while during July-June I poked around this blog's tags with the goal of making them more useful. I thought that maybe by using the model kit maker as a tag per project I'd maybe able to track what sort of stuff I've worked on. Those tags I left away from the general queue updates (unless I accidentally mass-added something somewhere) so that e.g. "Hobby Boss" only was set on while working on their models.

For a bit I pondered if I should've added the scale as well, but I decided against it as it wasn't going to limit the findings much. 1:72 would give you just about all the flying things, 1:35 would contain ~90% of all the rest, while the remains would be random, along the lines of "this 'Mech is that scale and that Imperial Walker is that scale". If I followed my own rules as strictly as I ought to.

I had also used pretty general-purpose model and type tags with different variants, like F-22 vs F-16A or my both Warthogs getting tagged as A-10. Then there was a Panther Ausf G, which I wanted to split as Panter and Ausf G, because I could end up building other German things that had a subtype G. Or a Leopard 2A6M that'd only make my repeat most of the tag's name, if I ever made a bigger scale Leopard but a different variant.

Then again, I thought that it'd be quite silly to set up a tag just for one unique project (such as the A-10 N/AW that I was most likely never going to repeat). But had I added too fine-grained tags somewhere I could always remove them, just like I had half-recently done. A few things that ended up being useless (once-used "Duke Nukem" was the first to come to mind) went to /dev/null and hopefully got replaced with some more useful ones.

All in all, it didn't make sense to go too deep with this stuff, as the reader's UI didn't - as far as I knew - allow searching with multiple tags. That was a damn poor implementation, but I guessed anyone interested in something would find something this way. This tagset has lived a bit lately and I assume it was going to do that until I was content for a while.

My modeling situation

Lately my progress and modeling in general has been slow, after the long and slow T-35 I made some supposedly quick and easy MEM sets. But even those didn't get much attention thanks to the real life (the heatwave!), it's been calm so far.

As I had foreseen, during my four months on childcare leave were so full of home stuff and this and that, that I didn't use the younger one's nap times on modeling or anything. Being completely and utterly honest, most of that time I just wanted to sit down in peace for a short moment and didn't feel like doing anything too taxing :) I guess this all's going to change quite a bit as everyone gains more age.

While you're reading this I've been back to work for two weeks, the real life timeline will soon meet the blog's scheduled posts. Or not.

Project assistant 1: status

Somehow my Project Assistant's own models haven't been finished or even progressed in ages. At the time of this posts's writing the following models/projects are stuck in the inspiration limbo: Ka-50 (IV/17), Revell's ISD (VI/17) and an IS-2 (of that I haven't posted anything, if my memory serves, the 1:72 scale tank has been built but that's it).

The potential Project Assistant 2 isn't old enough to even pretend to be interested in anything but throwing everything around. Well, the Aggregat-9 has been fwooshed around with proper sound effects for who knows how many months, so maybe not all hope is lost! If I get a second modeling buddy, we'll see later.

No comments:

Post a Comment