Mastodon

16.1.19

The gloriousness of a multi-pane canopy and masking tape

A masking tape adventure

I've always liked the general look of Stuka's multi-window pane setup. The last time I built a Stuka I tried to mask it by assembling it out of a gazillion tiny tape flakes and that didn't work out at all. After that I've done what worked better (and usually pretty well) then: first the inner panes were painted darkly, then the whole outside is covered with masking tape. Then the window lines are traced with a sharp x-acto knife (this is where the dark inner bits come in handy) and the excess tape bits get torn off. The result should be and has almost always been a more or less perfectly fitting maskset.


Either I wasn't as patient as I should've been or the knife had gotten dull, but this time all I achieved with this otherwise wonderful and simple method was loads of cursing. So as an A/B test I decided to give the fragment approach another but most likely doomed go. It wasn't going to be perfect but I just had had it. The second photo shows the results after the first masking session of the B variety.


I was mightily lazy and just popped the MG+window bit off and protected it with tape from the inside. This led to me having to paint the plane and the canopy imperfectly attached. It didn't seem like a noticeable issue and I thought it was actually going to be the simpler solution.



Please remind me never to attempt a Do-17 in this scale, no matter how amazing their nose windows were. The mere thought of it made me shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment