Mastodon

22.5.19

Greebling

In regard this topic I decided to boldly assume that whoever ended up reading this post would be well aware of what greebling was, why and where it more or less originated.

Extra cables

My model already had some haphazardly laid out cables and their friends modeled onto the external front-bottom part of the cockpit. That wasn't quite three-dimensional enough for my state of mind, so I cut short pieces of excess multithread towcable from a tank model I had built many a year ago. I just tried to lay them out somehow, so that they'd bring some depth but still show the old detailings in the gaps.

I considered twisting one of those so that a loop of it would hang down slightly visibly, but it was a bit too messy for Imperial tech crews, I felt, and I surely wasn't going to turn this beauty into a space terrorist shuttle! There are lines that aren't to be crossed ;)

Fired up by kitbash-greebling

At long last I had a justification for hamstering the old sprues and other random extra pieces! Though in all honesty, this was the second time, as I did use some of these in my TIE/I stand a couple of years* ago.

*) wow, it was almost four full years already...

The main wing

What I started with was choosing a random assortment of long and narrow pieces, such as those sets of sticks that were used to (I assumed) calibrate tank cannons, pieces of gun barrel cleaning rods and such. Also included were individual pipes and odd rods and I'd been more than excited to hide parts of torsion bar suspension systems, tank jacks, gun barrel travel locks and who knows what else I had, but the vast majority of interesting and generic-enough bits were just way too big to fit between the wing plates. And that was a crying shame.



I think I filled the last, low front corner of the main wing with a section of a long crowbar.


Folding wings

I really didn't put as much effort on the folding wings as on the main wing, because I wanted them to be symmetrical and also less interesting, in a way. This limit obviously narrowed my options down quite a bit, as my thousand boxes didn't contain an unlimited amount of small pieces, even fewer  identical twins. That made me decide I'd only greeblefill the front parts of the side wings, unless I just stumbled upon something cool enough. The reverse sides of the wings I decided to ignore with the same excuse.


Most of this greeblage was brought to you, maybe slightly surprisingly, a part of a tow cable of a German tank, without its strenghtened attachment loops. Taken out of context and painted "wrong" they might not even be recognizeable.

The next evening: over and around

I got hungrier while eating, so now I suddendly wanted to fill up the main wing all around. The top part was mostly filled and more by a single piece, that I had the insight to cut into and then bend to cover the rear edge and a bit of the top-back part of the wing. What remained I filled with random junk, eg. two pivoting handles that I glued together. I really didn't even remember what in the Empire they were originally representing.




This was somewhat slow work, but surprisingly fun to do. I surprised myself completely by actually starting down this path because my very original vision did not really include anything like this, just a simple repainting (with mandatory pre-cleanup).

No comments:

Post a Comment