Mastodon

10.7.19

Rainy grey but in space

A brief return to the previous look

What else is the 'Mumblings but doing the same thing all over again endlessly? Now I made the Imperial Shuttle via a layer of white primer to a dark grey basecoat and then to just about the same shade of grey it had worn for over a decade. Just by my visual comparison this grey (VMA 71120 USAF Medium Grey) was pretty close if not exactly the same as the old Revell enamel paint. This was not planned, nor was it important, as it was just a step between dark and light. I just found it somehow amusing.

The nose part

This phase got started from the most critical part, the nose. I protected the insides with a post-it piece and thus minimized the repainting needed on the inside. It had to be said, it did look pretty nice this way already, but somehow I managed to keep my natural laziness leashed - at this stage at least.



The main body

Painting the hull and wings went amazingly quickly, with this paint being fresher / runnier. The first round was actually very enjoyable, especially when compared to the last three evenings of slow grinding.

I begun with the insides of the folding wings, then proceeded to the hull and as I still had time on my hands, I got to the top wing as well. The last two of this photoset showed how I left the rear end of the stationary wing unpainted to give myself a handhold for twisting, turning and rotating the model. I made a concious choice to let the paintjob look a bit "cloudlike" instead of aiming for a 100% flatness, but I also didn't go for a strong preshading effect anywhere.




No, I had not forgotten that the wings had those more or less rectangular shapes that needed to be darker. I had planned on doing those after taking care of the white layer, making the masking much simpler.

The real world threw some extras on my way for about a week, before I got to proceed with this greyness-increasing process. At this point the underbelly of the Ondiv was waiting for the project to get to the stage where the rotating wings could be glued permanently to the landing config.



No comments:

Post a Comment