Random, weird and apparently verbose text about plastic models, 'mechs and gaming.
The final form can almost be seen!
I got busy
The "let's get stuff done"-bug bit me pretty nicely, so I've been working just about every day on this monster. When I got the hull halves in a good shape, just a few options remained. First: build those custom handles I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, second: assemble the hull. As usual, I didn't remember to dig out my wires, so the handles are still missing in action. I'll get them done one of these days, I promise.
The road wheel cradles
When the hull was in an "almost complete" state, where it was only missing the tools, I turned my eager fingers towards the wheel setup. First things first, I assembled the drive sprockets and glued them in their places, my plan was to leave the idler wheels off until I was ready to attach the tracks. So the next task was to build the weird cradles that house the road wheels.
I think I'll leave them off and paint them separately, so I can attach them on the already painted hull. While I'm at it I could messify these pieces and the lower hull a bit more nicely than if they were all attached. If the whole setup is built they overshadow each other bothersomely while weathering.
Close the tub and get going
Why keep wondering and pondering when everything's just about done - as far as they're supposed to be at this point? After a bit of dry-fitting I slammed the deck on the bottom and let it cure overnight. I know these last pics are foul, I took them in a bit of a rush, I apologise. Though they are work-in-progress photos, so I do reserve the right to share some suboptimal pics at this point. The final pics are going to get a bit more attention from me, rest assured :)
Like so. Of course I have to apply another coat of primer all around, but that's something I knew when I started the whole project. In any case I think I'll attack the turret next and take care of the painting in the end, when everything else's done. Someone may have noticed that all the tools - shovels, sledgehammers and whatnot - are missing, yes, I will attach them when the hull is painted, not a moment earlier. Otherwise the british green might not get applied nicely enough.