1.7.15

Painting confined spaces

Painting tightly

I approached the cockpit cautiosly, to say the least. After a bit of thinking I decided to paint all the interior spaces with the trusty black-grey, completely ignoring the instructed light grey. Why? Because there won't be much to be seen from the window and what can be seen was going to be very dark anyway. So: irrelevant. I did paint the ejection seat's padding olive green, as suggested.


Decals

Cockpit decals were the best-working ones in the previous plane, so I decided that if nothing else, I'll use those. The armrests got a decal each and the instrument panel got a small one. The rightmost decal I had to cut a bit because the joystick was a bit on the way.




All three went on nicely and effortlessly. After I was done with the decals I white glued the targeting glass piece while I remembered its existence. That's all the interior work I did and left the cockpit as is.

The canopy

Thanks to the shape of the transparent pieces I followed my gut feeling when I masked them. I left an open strip in the front of the rear piece, as it felt like the best place for the canopy seam. Maybe I did it wrong, but it's way too late to worry about it now.


After the masking was done I painted the insides of the non-masked areas with black grey, just like I did with the N/AW project. The next day I white glued these pieces onto each other and the plane, sealing the fate of my Falcon's cockpit. All the blackish lines you can see in the photo are on the inside, as I didn't think it made any sense to start spraying the primer on top of the curing pieces yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment