31.8.16

Captaining

Fast-forwarding

Apparently my evidence recording conventions have got weak lately, as I almost completely forgot to take any photos of the puttying and sanding stages. Not that there was much to see, but the principle is what concerns me. What I had done was that I had applied an amount of Tamiya's putty to cover the insane gaps and rents and then sanded away the worst lumps.

After that I had glued his arms on in a "I just lowered my binoculars to look at something with my own eyes" position, or that was what I was aiming for anyway. Again I puttied gaps and after letting it cure over the traditional 24h time I sanded the excesses away. I even glued on the head, even though it may have been a bit easier to paint off the torso. Being a bit paranoid I decided that I'd paint it on its proper place to avoid making a fingerprinty mess by accident or plain carelessness.



Airbrushing

Now I primed the guy and his unattached hat with Vallejo's White Surface Primer. Then I proceeded to blast his pants with Panzer Dark Grey (VMA 71056), his shoes or boots plain black (VMA 71075) and finally his coat department with German Grey (VMA 71052). These colours were chosen by my googling results.



All the rest I'd do the old-fashioned way. I am completely and totally aware of the fact that no marine historian would accept this coat as a correct one, but I was looking for a long coat that could be called a raincoat of a U-Boat commander. At this point I was already thinking that maybe with a creative use of varnishes I could get a neat splashed wet effect by first using a satin varnish and then using some gloss varnish on the splashed on surfaces. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment