Mastodon

27.3.24

No oil into the trash can!

There it was, basics were painted, so now it was time to drop all the oil paints and thinners onto the palette.

Panel lines and shadows

My sepia wash was always a bit too thick - or my paintbrush was a bit large. Or my wash would flow better if I actually did the satin/gloss varnishing before, as recommended. I aimed the was into all of the lines, grooves and shadowed places and didn't even think of just slathering the oil wash all around and then remove the excesses. Being this small the mini was a bit difficult to work with sometimes.

As usual, I left the thinner-powered cleanup for the next evening. I purposefully left the ejection port area of the AC/10 a bit crappier than what I might usually have gone for.

That being done I left it to dry for a couple of days, so that the shadows got properly set before my grass green test. If I had to redo the panel lines again, I would do it in the final stages with the other fixes.

My triplet of supposed UAC logos I might still poke by painting the triangle light grey (Stonewall...) to cover up the rubbish results with the masking. If that got done before any other oil work, the result should be tolerable.

Testing the greenery

Looking a few months back, Santa's colleagues brought among other things four Abteilung tubes ([ABT220 Dark Brick Red, ABT260 Oxide Patina, ABT090 Industrial Earth, ABT094 Green Grass]) and the brightish green felt like a good fit on my green parts, if I only knew how to use it properly. Maybe it would work a bit like the buff I used in the previous 'Mechs but more adjusted for the underlying colour. The UrbanMech didn't have a medium laser, so I didn't need to go insane trying to implement a jewel effect with oils at this point in life.

Following my previous methods I poked a few dots of green paint, then blended it around with the round-tipped blending brush. Perhaps it left a gentle green layer, I just couldn't tell quickly with my eyes and without setting some before/after pics next to each other.


Apparently I didn't ruin my earlier washing with this green operation, so I didn't see any need for a second sepia wash round. It was a tiny victory, but a victory nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment