Mastodon

13.2.19

Withstanding the weather of Tunisia

The final details

I had decided that this plane wasn't going to get heavily dirtified, weathered or modulated. The sun-toasted decals (see last week's post) were enough in my opinion. The only clearly visible change I did anymore was that I painted the anti-slipping surfaces on both sides of the cockpit dark grey (Vallejo's RLM 66).

The always as happy-lookingly grinning engine's cooler grille I just dabbed with some black on top of what had already ended up there. I also drybrushed the exhaust pipe ends with a direct but gentle exhaust gas flow towards the back, both on top and bottom of the wings, and somewhat along the airframe itself. Maybe pitch black wasn't the best choice for the most critical eyes but again, it was more than good enough for me in this project. The exhaust stains weren't, as I had wanted, incredibly strong and heavy.

Why did I add the no-slip parts so clearly, then? I hadn't really thought of it much, they just brought some more details to otherwise so simple a paintjob. During the same heartbeat I also decided not to apply a wash of any sort.





Oops, I almost forgot!

Oh right, while brushing on Vallejo's matt varnish (70520) to cover my back I realized that the damn thing had some forward-facing machine guns as well! Instead of black or almost black I quickly painted the tiny nubs metallic (VMC 70863 Gunmetal Grey) and to the tiny tips I dabbed a speck of black as the open mouths of the barrels. I also drybrushed the radio operator's MG with the metallic paint while I was at it, to simulate some wear and tear.



Oh, the difference on the character of the sandy colour with a different lampset! The last photo also showed nicely (unlike on the phone's screen) that the main bomb indeed had the yellow stripes. So I had that provably documented after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment