Mastodon

1.5.19

Project II/19

A renovation project

Right, listen up! Now we'd be doing something completely new and different. A few time units ago I wrote some "oldies but goldies" posts of my old models that are mostly not alive or even kept around anymore. A notable exception was the Imperial Lambda-class shuttle Ondiv that had more or less survived four moves. During the last six years her cockpit had fallen off and the last surviving shoulder gun protector had also gotten detached. The other bits had fallen much earlier.


At least I had managed to keep the loose pieces safe and I didn't have to start thinking of how to replace them from scratch. While pondering on what I'd do to this SHU I found pretty impressive Arduino-based optic cable setups that I almost gave up.

Some folks had filled up the gaps between the wing plates but I didn't think I was going to go that way. Just regluing and gently repainting on the other hand, was clearly on my schedule. I thought I'd just airbrush the whole spacecraft white so that the original grey would remain as a basecoat to give some more shade to the end product. The insides of the cockpit would need to be fully redone, because my original approach had been "full grey in and out", the new interior would be closer to black.

While reading through one of the many restoration project articles I found (google-translated from French to something understandable) I remembered how foul the wing rotator pieces were and how ill-fitting they were. Also the canopy didn't really sit snugly anywhere at all, so most likely I would end up filing and sanding here and there anyway. In any case I wanted to leave the glass pane clear, nor did I want to add the length-wise running tiny white or grey panel strips that some people / models used.

No comments:

Post a Comment