Mastodon

20.5.20

Impale it!

Wrapping the pylon up

Between these posts my pylon had gotten some filler on it and that had been mostly removed with a numb mind while the Project Assistants were watching cartoons. The usual.

I painted both the pylon and its baseplate flat black. After a reasonable curing time I masked off a margin of a couple of millimeters around the base. My graphical designs have never been critically acclaimed but even I knew that a margin was going to be a good idea for the base.


To be honest I couldn't remember how many years ago I bought some Citadel paints from the OhMyGame store in Myyrmanni before my dentist's appointment. The main items were the washes but I rounded my haul up with a little pot of a 'technical' paint (Citadel / Technical / Agrellan Earth) that I had never encountered before. Over the course of uncounted years I had occasionally remembered that and then immediately forgotten it again when I was doing some sort of weathering. Now it was to be tried for the first time, not on the tracks of a Panzer but the ground at the foot of a fake steel tower.


After the paint had dried a bit it started showing some disgustingly plausible half-dry mud that's been cracking in the summer sun. The shade of it was a bit sad but that's what I had bought and on purpose, even. To make it a bit less depressing I superglued a couple of autumn-era grass tufts.


When the paint had cured I tore the masking tapes off. My eyeballed margins had not been as uniform as my css rules had specified, but it was good enough for my bookshelf. I could've used the technical mud a bit more, but this was fine as well.


A swooshing moment

The moment of the model being finished has always been one of the most fun moments in each project. Of course I've spoiled most of this with my never-ending dry-fit pics over the duration of the project, even in this same post. Maybe these next pics would've been more impressive had they been unprecedented?

Back to the topic at hand, more or less: I've been thinking for a good while that I should buy a light tent. Cleaning up these pics of mine with Gimp, especially with the backgrounds of this apartment has been somewhat tedious, so my itch for buying more toys has just gotten worse. When this post was being written we had been a couple of weeks in the corona isolation, so running for random shoppings hasn't been too high on my priority queue. I also haven't wanted to order one blindly from the net, either. Not yet, at least.




Next to its "peers"

Like in the first post or so I felt like comparing two very different planes that had about fifty years between them. The only reason for putting these into the same photo was that they were both in the same scale and were counted as military planes. Looking at these two flying machines next to each other showed how tiny the Stuka was in comparison.

Ah hey, they both accidentally had white highlights! Funny.




No comments:

Post a Comment