Mastodon

25.11.20

Tow truck 2: same same

Building the second vehicle

The second vehicle I expected to be almost completely the same as the first one, so I calculated that I was going to be clearly quicker assembling it. Funnily the reality this was even quicker than I had thought, as I almost finished it in one sitting. My largest victories in building speed came from me having once gone through the hunting of pieces, so I knew what was needed; and of course from that fact that there were a truckful less pieces to iterate.

Power transfer

I obediently followed the instructions. This was again started from the single-wheeled end, I glued on the storage box and the fuel tank to flank the torque converter.

The front suspension etc

Cockpit

On the inside this truck's cockpit was 1:1 copy of the other one, so it was a very quick build. Only the outside had some little differences, for example the driving light set had been bolted shut with steel plates, or that's how it looked like. The complete glasslessness still bothered me.

The vehicle's frame and the cockpit module

The cockpit module

Dry-fitting the cockpit's roof

Deck

Shock and horror! This time the first piece to be glued on the deck wasn't the cockpit but the engine compartment with an exhaust pipe that looked more like something the crew used to brew some moonshine in the night time. The cockpit was installed in front of this box, deck's massive openings had space for the axles running lenght-wise to this vehicle's torque converter. From that the show was the same as in the first vehicle, with the axles and such being installed earlier on.

The engine compartment with a massive exhaust setup

Cockpit module installed

Power transfer from the engine to below the deck

Last details being installed onto this truck were the wing mirrors, the ladders and the extra details of the bumpers. Somehow I didn't find the left lamp of the cockpit: it wasn't loose in the box and it also wasn't in any of the sprues. Despite going through the obvious and obscure hideouts that piece remained awol.

Almost finished vehicle from the front right

Almost finished vehicle from the rear

Dry-fitting

As I have always done, I had to pose the built vehicles next to each other. Of course I forgot one of the wheelsets from the first picture, it'd been too fun otherwise.

Tow trucks queuing

I also tried out the forks, cautiously. The long-feeling trucks became even more space-consuming when they were ready to pick up the cannon and run away. I really didn't want to imagine how awful this process had been in real life, getting the cannon ready to transport.

Tow trucks with their forks, side by side

Rear vehicle built but unpainted


No comments:

Post a Comment