Mastodon

19.4.23

Jagdpanzering 17

Seventeenth session

Dots after dots after dots. For some reason I have always skipped that part of the Hinterhalt-Tarnung, maybe because I subconciously expected it to look ridiculous being done by me. But almost everything had to be tried out at least once, so the Jagdpanzer IV project got to be a test platform for a bunch of new methods.

The whole idea behind these dots was to look like sunbeams filtered through the forest's canopy. Somehow that sounded pretty cosmic, but on the other hand it also sounded like a pretty neat idea.

On the Dunkelgelb surfaces I was supposed to add either green or red-brown dots, and dark yellow dots on the green and red-brown surfaces. Some people have cycled each of the colours but I thought it was going to be enough to try out with just two. In my mind the red-brown might be a bit too strong, so I decided to go with green dots as my second colour. Also, I had been thinking while airbrushing the camo, that I should've had more green and less red-brown.

Dunkelgelb dots

Being cautious I started applying the dots from the lower front glacis plates and then proceeded upwards, via the rool to the engine deck and the rear plate. The side walls I dotted last.







Some areas, worst being the bit below the track armour in the back wall, suffered a bit from my random dots being less than random in application. They also somehow were a bit too similar in shape and size. Or that's how it felt like to me, and I tried to poke anything that caught my attention. In general this looked pretty decent already.

Green dots

After I was done with the green and brown areas, I changed to the green paint and added dots to the remaining Dunkelgelb surfaces. Again, some individual places disagreed with my eyes, having too much regularity in them to my liking.




 

All in all this vehicle looked pretty good to me, I was properly baffled by it. Or to be more exact, I was surprised by how content I was with this

No comments:

Post a Comment