Mastodon

14.6.23

Jagdpanzering 28

Twenty-eighth session

This was a finishing round. I went through each of the spots that bothered me, and added what I felt was missing. After a long back-and-forth pondering about the wooden bits I ended up applying a brown wash (Citadel Shade - Agrax Earthshade) on them after all.

An undo-round

I cleaned up some of the larger dark mud oil paint splotches with the thinner. At this point these oil paints had been on the tank's surface for many days already, but less than a week so I wasn't worried. I dipped my /-shaped blending brush into the thinner, wiped most of it off and started working the dark brown paint towards the front edge.

Yup. The dirt layer decreased as if I had pressed ctrl+z. Or not quite, as I didn't want to remove all of it, just fix the heaviness. While I was doing this, I also reduced the overlarge light rust pigments. Those moved along nicely as well.

Mostly I felt I needed to clean up the front and the rear parts of the tank. In general I felt the track armour in the rear of the tank looked half-assed, but I wasn't bothered enough to redo it all.


The muddy dirt on top of the tank I edited so that I removed most of it from the tops of the hatches. My idea was, of course, to model the crew moving around the hatches with their dirty boots but didn't really dance on top of them.

Afterwards I realized that I may have committed an error: I made the mess on the hinge-side, instead of where they would be actually moving on. Better results next time.


Metal

One sure sign of being almost done was that I now painted the barrel cleaning rod's connectors with brass (VGA 72758 Brassy Brass). It wasn't too clear where these were supposed to be just looking at the monolithic piece, but that's what I painted. I had never had the delusions of doing those as nmm, even though the engineering tools ended up looking pretty nicely metallic, with an simple intended non-metallic-metal trick.


Running gear's metallic bits

Next I drybrushed, where I physically could,  some Gunmetal (VMA 71072) onto the contact points of the tracks. I also went through all of the guiding horns, drive sprocket's teeth, and idler wheel outer rims that I could.


From a pilot's viewpoint:

Of course I had managed to misplace the graphite pen I bought in the early year, so I had to usea normal (and hard) pencil to highlight the metal-painted bits. It didn't really work too well to replicate the effect of a track worn clean by the wheels. But it has to be mentioned that I was ridiculously careful with my awful tracks at this point, because they were foul, and had broken off from multiple places, and I didn't want to break them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment