Mastodon

6.9.23

Numbers, insignia and muddy bases

Being slightly differently detailed than the IWM minis the new CGL had less easy and simple places for the numbers and insignia on them, at least for someone with my nonexistent freehanding skills. I still was going to follow the same process as before, choosing a number for each and tried to find space for said numbers. First I painted the numbers with black, then over and offset slightly top/left them with white.

 

Both the Galaxy and Cluster insignia were based on light-coloured planets so for those I just painted cream-white circles. To get the Gamma Galaxy I painted a birdlike shape with jade, for the Cluster I painted a swordlike thing punching through the planet.

 

The Clan Jade Falcon insignia was the most complicated and challenging. I started with a grey box, added a birdlike jade shape, a black line at the talons and later yellow points for talons to grab onto the black sword handle and a yellow beak around where the head should be.


In a way it was pretty simple, but as said, in this scale and with my limited skills it wasn't child's play. Of course I could've ignored them all but I wanted to get these markings onto my minis.

Muddiness

There had been no plans for the hex bases, but as I was here I decided to mess them up right now, with the main painting business being behind me. I got my Vallejo mud products and thinned them down with water to get them spread on the bases to begin with. Most of the stuff was light-coloured European Mud but when I added a bit of almost black Russian Mud all of it ended up pretty damn dark.

I applied to goo pseudorandomly onto the bases, I wanted the terrain to be uneven. I also tried to pile the mud so that it looked like my OmniMechs had just stopped somewhere and displaced the crap from below their feet. Not that it showed well from this photo, or with the paste being wet and not set yet.

So far I hadn't painted on the weathering pastes, but now we'd get to do that too, later. My next step was going to be in the footsteps of Bob Ross but without the happy trees or mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment