Mastodon

8.1.20

Project I/20

Sukhoi Su-28

Despite all my yapping about wanting to roll in the mud I chose to stay with the weird world of the winged things. The Soviet/Russian green-blue theme sounded like a fun, different theme to experiment with, so changing the element didn't feel that important anymore. Besides, I have always liked the look of this plane that NATO folks dubbed Flanker (just like MiG-29 that has also been the archetype for a jet fighter for me)


Pieces

I think I've said this countless times before, but these small-scale planes have always struck me dumb with the low part count, every single time a box gets opened. This one was no exception, in addition to the wings and the airframe it was pretty much all missile with pylons / rails and landing gear bits. What remained looked like an assortment of antennas, engine nozzles and more mystical thingamagicks that might maybe get some sort of a reason for existing as the build progressed.



Instructions

Lucky me with most of the important things being in the pics, for the text didn't help me much. Then again, requoting myself, "how hard could it be?"

The biggest problem with the pictures was that they were abysmally small for my bad eyes and especially the less self-evident and weirder subassemblies were going to be pretty much done with some trial and lots of errors and swearing. It'd be so much easier if I just built it in flight mode, but with an empty cockpit I felt it would've been slightly silly.



Decals

I found two sheets of decals from the bottom of the box. If there was something I could see myself really using were the numbers, some who-knew-what markings and the red stars. All this of course required the decals to actually behave.


No comments:

Post a Comment