Mastodon

5.2.20

Flanker main assembly 2/2

Changes of mind on the assembly line

The most significant remaining pieces that affected the look and character of the plane were the tail wings (for the more aviation-minded people, vertical stabilizers) and I believe I got them installed pretty much straight. If I didn't, my eyes had been off again.


To the other side of the plane, fascinatingly onto the outer sides of the engines, I installed a couple of strakes (yes, I found their name from wikipedia's F-16 article), just like the vanes in the bottom of the F-16 a few years ago. The engines were impressive indeed.


As I've been talking about I had spent an amount of time planning how to step by step at this point. All that was thrown straight into /dev/null as I sliced the excess plastic bits off the landing gear bay doors and glued both the nose and right side doors permanently shut.

Of course I had pre-fitted them before cutting off the first fragment of plastic, no worries! The left side door I left for the next session as I didn't want to start rushing and ruining things.



On the top side I did little after the double tail wings, besides installing the air brake in place, in the closed mode. I guess I could've done it all open or partly open, but those ideas have always felt a bit goofy to me with a pilotless plane - but this has been, as always, my own mental problem.

A couple of pitot-tubes or somethings like them were added behind the pilot's place on to the sides. Maybe this time they'd also stay in place while painting.

This was, by the way, one of the main reasons I don't enjoy building these fantastic flying machines that much, not nearly as much as tanks: I'm not into them enough to bother to learn all the fine details, all the weird little bits and pieces that these contain, or whatever the hell this funky little knob is this time. I mean, in my ignorance I might leave off a vital piece of equipment :D


No comments:

Post a Comment