Mastodon

4.3.20

Detailing preparation

Tape!

After the camo was done the airbrushings for this project were pretty much completed already. I wanted to highlight a few parts, using the previous post's reference image as inspiration. Quite a few pics I had encountered the tail wings had either on the inner or outer side a longish light grey or so rectangle running along the leading edge. Based on a feeling I decided not to do any of that on my plane.

Three (or four if we wanted to do some semantic nitpicking) things remained in my plan. The nose cone that covered the front-facing radar, next to which I could've also painted a darker rectangle up until the canopy front, but I didn't really like the way it looked in my mind's eye so I opted out of that too.

Both the tail wing top tips I decided to pain, both from inside and outside. Some variance existed in the photos I had seen, many with only one of those - maybe that depended somehow on the rectangles I chose to omit mere moments earlier.

The most curious bit I encountered was the refueling slot, that I can't recall touching in any other but the N/AW A-10 project a few years (5) ago. On an impulse I decided to implement that little bit on the Flanker.

Nosy

Masking off the nose cone I did with about half a dozen strips of masking tape. This did not provide me with a perfectly round edge, but it was just good in my opinion.



VStabs

The edges on top of the vertical stabilizers I simply cut off with pieces of masking tape. I recognized the need to dynamically protect the rest of the plane from the overflow already at this point. Most likely I'd just hold a sticky note behind the target chunk while spraying.



Aerial refueling thing

The fuel door was traditionally weirdly shaped. I protected its four main edges first and then added little details to the shape with another four diagonally aligned pieces. I didn't try to follow the shape perfectly, because with my skills I'd needed to do that with the x-acto knife just like with the canopy frames. The issue was that I simply didn't dare to risk ruining my precious paintjob with an evilly sharp knife!


No comments:

Post a Comment