Mastodon

4.8.21

Bright priming

A break from building

Being very eager to paint this thing as accurately as I could manage, and because I just saw them in the shelves of Hobby Point when I went by, I had bought a couple of colourful primers that felt like a good match for the upcoming task. Red for what was going to be hull red, whiteish for those creamy chunks, that was the plan. While fooling with these I'd also finally start on those pieces that I had left to wait for priming *cough* road wheels *cough*

Round 1

I started with a bit of red primer (VSP 70642 Pure Red). After the first couple of puffs of the airbrush I felt a bit silly, as it was somewhat perverted to paint a tank bright red. I got over this sense of strangeness, as the coverage increased some more. When I was done with the first pass of the red parts, I switched to the lighter one (VSP 70627 Skeleton Bone) and went roughly over the combat compartment's white-to-be bits.




The engine I started painting upside down, purposefully, because I found it easier to hold onto from the top, while rotating and painting the submodel. That's why the aif filter cover was left for the next round.




I did the same with the fuel tanks and whoknowswhatpumps. They started to look like something now, even if I hadn't really done anything but giving some colour on them. Somehow that just gave some depth to the surfaces, in my opinion.


Rounds 2 and 3

During the next two priming rounds I did pretty much the same everywhere. First I finished painting those parts that I had previously only started on. Then I primed the already built parts of the tank's hull and proceeded to the tedious road wheels and other parts living nearby on the sprues.

This first photo showed how I had painted the insides of the top hull light, just as I did with the support beams that were going to be living behind the driver and the radio operator. I didn't do all the pieces now, as I wasn't sure if I had enough paint for a full set, and if I didn't, I had no idea when could I go buy some more.





Round 4

For this stage I painted the top of the hull, from the outside, prettily red (I bet someone had already done a bright red Panzer and added a yellow shield with an outline of a prancing horsey to the side), as well as the outer shell of the turret. What a setup this was going to be, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment