Mastodon

18.8.21

Maybach HL 230 P 30 / painting

Basecoating

Getting the motor into its proper look started by airbrushing a layer of grey (VMA 71048 Engine Grey) over the bright red. The instructions were talking about black grey, I chose to cover my back by doing a layer of something else first. If not for no other reason but to prepare for my black grey paint having dried a bit too much and causing some painting issues.


Darkness

I painted all the almost black bits with a paintbrush (VMA 71056 Black Grey), trusting on the earlier engine grey layer to cover everything properly. In my mind this gave a bit of a nicer shading too. The exhaust pipes and whoknowswhatpipes I left alone. To avoid making a mess, I left the engine's painting to dry overnight.

A clean-ready motor

Once again I didn't take any work in progress photos when my painting excitement took the driver's seat. My third engine-painting evening I spent on the details, as the bulk of the engine didn't need anything else at this point.

The air filter's lid on top of the motor I painted off-white. I didn't care to attempt to make it incredibly clean-looking or as if it was untouched. That'd been unnatural. Instead I let the white coat to look imperfect.

Both exhaust pipe chunks I painted rusty (VMA 71080 Rust), even though the red brown would've also worked just fine, especially if the motor was a new one. In the front of the motor a central bit, and on the rear part the double magnetos (as far as my image comparison skills took me) were painted as flashy metallic bits (VMA 71065 Steel). Finally those narrow, liquid-carrying pipes I painted red brown, in accordance to the rules of the tank's interior.


No comments:

Post a Comment