Mastodon

8.9.21

Radio painting I

A generic fixing round

After I pulled off my masks I was wondering and lamenting the results. Nothing had overflown badly, which was nice. The radio stack and the floor in the back needed some poking. This had gone pretty well.


All the accidentally whitened pieces I painted by hand back into the red brown style. Quickly but carefully.

The radio equipment as instructed

My knowledge about the radio setup of tanks was mostly limited to a: all German tanks had a radio, and b: the higher the rank, the more radios they carried. From this model I of course could not find any sort of a description of what sort of a role it was to play, so I had to first search around what these three, four boxe were and even more importantly, what they were supposed to look like.

These bits were not modular, so the idea wasn't to build either a common tank or a command tank. A bit confusing, as I'd expected that sort of option would excite some hyperaccurate modelers (and myself in principle). Perhaps it was a costs issue, as if the radio bits took four slots instead of two in the sprues it'd taken both more space and a bit more modeling.

No matter, I painted them all white from the driver's side, as I painted the edges of the driver's instrument panel. Of the radio operator's stuff I painted the frames white but left the faces to wait for a darker paintjob. This way they'd show the "stuff those boxes into the rack" ideology, and as far as I knew, the radio covers were usually pretty dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment