Mastodon

3.11.21

Internal details again

Lots of small stuff

The hull's inner ceiling was my next main target. The turret's opening's rear arc had a rail for the MG clips, I glued a bunch of those in place. Next to the driver and radio operator a couple of new boxes were installed, and for the driver a special piece that I interpreted as the periscope's rotator setup. All the periscopes were made of transparent plastic, so I had to remember to mask their openings before airbrushing around.

To make things less easy the radio operator's MG 34 consisted of very small flimsy pieces and I was about to lose my cool with some of those. After taking a couple of deep breaths and forcing myself to try to take it a bit easier I got the thing done.


This week's processes were organized a bit erratically, as  I worked on assembling some things while some others were having their paint dry. Right after the previous session's assemblies were set I built the next ones (such as those jack-like (tiltable!) devices next to the expected heads of the two guys sitting in the front) and started painting the pre-primed red-grey things again to be white-grey while I waited for some other pieces to settle.

Following traditions I painted the MG 34 flat black for weathering and little details. All the turret-adjacent clips I painted olive green. Their bases ended being black, like before. Most likely the colour-coding was supposed to tell the users something, I had not found anything so far.


The surroundings of the front hatches I painted whiteish by hand, as soon as I had all the new pieces in. I had encountered so many interesting new details that I had never seen or heard of before.

At this point I had to mention that I worked on the machine gun out of sync, so the next few photos of it were snatched from the future, in the middle of the following posts. Tactically I had managed to ignore two small but essential pieces from the weapon. I glued them in and painted them flat black, too. After that had dried, I drybrushed the setup with Gunmetal.

Both clips got painted Dunkelgelb, just like most of the clips nearby. The handle I decided to paint Mahogany (VMA 71036) just because I saw the paint at a lucky moment. This was a pretty low-contrast choice, but maybe it didn't hurt in a shitty tank?


While dry-fitting the machine gun's barrel stuck out of the tank just the way it was expected to. While positioning it I just had to be careful not to knock off anything else inside. Damn cramped tank, this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment