Mastodon

2.2.22

A sidestep

Missing links

While working on the tracks I wanted to do something else TM for a moment. As a simple thing to try out was a small effect I had not used on serious models. In addition to that I'd also fix the only primer-wearing bits in the road wheels.

Edge highlighting

As you may remember I had washed the whole camouflaged area with brown. The idea here was to use the original camo colours and drybrush those over any raised edges and corners. Simple, nothing that'd jump out weirdly, and if anything stupid happened, undoing would be easy with a bit of wash.

On paper it sounded neat, but with the shades of paint I had used, the difference wasn't really noticeable anywhere else than in the cone in the front of the turret (this wasn't a Saukopf but as I mention the name, you all know which bit I was talking about). Of course I could've used slightly lighter tones, as I had those readily available, but I didn't go there due to the nature of the camo pattern. There was a risk of ruining the pattern and that kept me very cautious.


Next time I'd try a stronger one. Maybe I learned something from this, anyway.

Roadwheel touchups

As anyone with functional eyes could tell, the roadwheel rims and the locking cylinders were incomplete. They mostly had the red primer on them. I decided that those were not camouflaged, as the camo painter had more important and useful things to do, so a plausible basecoat was going to be good. I used the ruling basecoat of red brown with the idea being that it was a corrosion-protective paint.

 

While I was poking around the road wheels, I dabbed a bunch of flake effects with a piece of a sponge, applying some dark grey (Panzer Dark Grey). The last time I did this was inside the turret, so it was a continuation of the same effect. As gentle damages to the paintjob, they looked neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment