Mastodon

26.7.23

Masking tape madness

Camo design

So far I had always painted my OmniMech camo patterns by hand, this time I felt like trying out a sharper edge to the shapes by using masking tape. For a short while I pondered on testing a pixel camo, but what worked fantastically in a 1:35 rocket launcher might not work as well in 1:285. Maybe I could put that idea into use for a different unit, and keep the 3rd Talon in more or less uniform pattern.

I pulled a lenght of masking tape onto my cutting mat, sliced off different triangles and pointy bits, and started laying them all around the Dire Wolf.


 

Somehow it felt like it could've been better some other way. So for the next two Points I wanted lines or stripes instead of splinters. I took another length of tape and cut it into low sinewave -like shape. These wavelets I wrapped around the Summoner and Mad Dog, cutting the longer wavelets into shorter ones where and when needed.


At this point my warmachines looked like half-peeled mummies.





When I got to masking the Gargoyle I decided to make a bit different pattern again, and made mostly different triangles, larger ones than what I did on the Dire Wolf. I thought that a machine this ugly I should also make a bulky splinter camo.


 

A hindsight moment: at this point I managed to forget that on my second session I didn't get more than one lower leg masked from the Hellbringer.

No comments:

Post a Comment