Mastodon

2.8.23

Greening the first two Points

Customizing paints

The Olive Green was way too dark as it was, compared to what I was looking for. I jsut didn't have a good medium green, so I had to start mixing up this crap myself. I added some Vallejo's green (VMA 71007 Olive Green) into my airbrush, then I brightened it with some yellow ochre (VMA 71033 Yellow Ochre) and some Vallejo's thinner to improve the application.

Green Dire Wolf

Apparently the Dire Wolf had taken "the first mini of the queue" slot, so I painted that one first. The masking tape bits stayed on pretty nicely, but I wasn't also going to pull the hair off my head if there was some overspray.


Green Summoner

Painting the Summoner went the same way, I left the Autocannon and ERPPC barrels with less coverage, as they were going to be metallic anyway.



After demasking

To see the intermediate results of the masking I tore off the tapes from the Dire Wolf. I wanted to know as soon as possible if they didn't work like I expected so I could stop wasting time on a thing that didn't work. For the same reason I didn't mix up a lighter green for drybrushing, even as I knew that it would become messier without the masks.






The pattern was pretty tight, it felt like it worked nicely. Next I was going to jump onto the Summoner but now I mixed the lighter paint and drybrushed the Summoner completely. The highlighting shade could've been a bit lighter still, but it worked.

Drybrushed

As these photos showed, the greens weren't that much different, but you could see the shading. I also wasn't looking for a comic book -like super strong edge highlighting. With the mummy wrappings Summoner looked a bit funky, but as soon as I got the tapes off, it improved greatly.




Maybe this was the way I had always done freehand camo, but when looking at these photos I got a feeling that said "they always look like this". It didn't really bother me, it was funny to notice that I have had a pretty similar approach to breaking shapes for many years. These sharp edges between colours seemed to work nicely, I was pleased with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment