Mastodon

9.8.23

Two-Point detailing

The first details

Now that I had got up to speed with two Points, I felt like I should work more on them while the other three were waiting for their camo patterns. With the large parts done, I moved to the metallic parts of the 'Mechs, and I felt like trying out a new thing in this scale. In the previous project the dark grey + thin, mottled lighter grey on it worked pretty nicely as a metallic surface without using metal paints. I wanted to see how it worked in this scale and there was only one way to find out.

Dark grey metal parts

On the front side of the Dire Wolf the metal areas were pretty obvious (of course everyone had their own opinion on what should be "metallic" on a 100-ton walking tank and so on), at least they felt obvious to me and my so-called style of painting 'Mechs. I started with the Left Torso -mounted LRM-10 launcher's faceplate, then I painted the large gun pod barrels (2x UAC/5), and after those I painted the smaller four tubes around the UACs (4x LLas, 4x MPLas) including their lenses. Those intakes by the cockpit and the ankle joints in the legs got painted dark.

On the back side I decided that some smaller entities were metallic, such as different vents, grilles, elbow joints, and some moving bits in the hip and knee joints. This felt like a good amount.
 

Selkäpuolelta tulkitsin metallisiksi vähän pienempiä kokonaisuuksia, kuten eri jäähdytysventtiilit ja kyynärpäiden nivelet sekä lonkka- ja polvinivelien liikkuvia osia. Päätin niiden riittävän oivallisesti.

On the Summoner's front side I also started with the faceplate of the LRM-15 launcher, and the arm-mounted LB -10X and ERPPC barrels, then the knee joints from the legs.

From the back side I painted the grilles and vents, and the jump jet nozzles in the shins.


Canopies

Each of the cockpit viewport panels I painted with a bright red (VMA 71003 Red RLM23). I wanted the cockpits to be clearly distinguishable and a bright red really jumped from the green on the earlier miniatures. Maybe this was a bit more comic-like apporach than the flat black I used years ago, but I felt this made them look more impressive, even if less realistic. As far as you could consider walking tanks the size of a detached house and armed with insane amounts of weapons, painted in garish colours, anyhow realistic.


At this point I made the mistake of trying to paint the missile tips red with the horrible brush I was using. Those were to be fixed later, now there was more red on the faceplate of the launcher than on the missiles themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment