Mastodon

22.4.20

Weathering session number two

On the sunny side

I started the topside work by washing the remaining (now nicely worn-looking) metallic surfaces with brown (VMW 76513 Brown) just the same way I had treated the flipside parts. The result was again something that looked like it had seen a nice share of real life already.

The airframe I weathered just like on the bottom side, with paintbrush-applied grey (VMW 76516 Grey) all around, then wiping off the excesses off, perhaps driving some paint more into the grooves. I still approved of the result. I had been careful enough with the canopy frames and did not see any new mess ruining them.



A lot of vents

Many of my reference photos had gotten the set of vents, especially on the righthand side of the plane to jump out with their very dark look. I applied a black wash on them (VMW 76518 Black) and again wiped the excess paint away, but this time the result wasn't quite as neat, mostly thanks to the attributes of black paint.


Below the massive air intake scoops a pair of enormous vents got also washed black. Now my flying device looked pretty much aligned with many of my reference images had shown, at least on the generic level.


At this point I did a yet another check for not missing anything. Lucky for me, as I noticed the seagull impaler both on the instructions and the sprue. I glued the missing piece onto the nose cone and painted both that and a couple of fixable bits with the slightly gloomier shade of blue-grey (VMA 71319 A28M Greyish Blue).

No comments:

Post a Comment