Mastodon

31.12.22

Project VIII/22

Revell Jagdpanzer

Back in the summer of '17 I posted how I had offered a home for this model and a few others, and now I got to start building it. The Autumn half's calendar situation was interesting to say the least so I wasn't expecting rapid progress on any front. Perhaps I could try again to follow my time consumption by writing a post for each of my modeling sessions. Coincidentally I used session-based posting with the T-35 project that ate most of my modeling year 2017.

Background

This Tank Destroyer ended up in my queue when Tape didn't have use for all that he had gotten from an unnamed scale modeler's estate. I had a strong hunch that we had talked about this model and that that someone had started working on it, so not all the pieces may have remained in the box. No matter, as one of the famous last words were.

Box art

Now I was thinking if I had ever built anything by Revell in this scale? When I returned to scale modeling I did build and paint (badly) a good number of their 1:72 scale tanks, as they were both pretty cheap and easily available.


Instructions

Not much could be said about the paperwork, they seemed clear enough. A funny detail was that the pamphlet was updated in 1997, which was practically yesterday. Except that it was a disturbing quarter of a century ago and at that point I was still in a fresh highschooler.


Pieces

The sprues were numerous and a small percentage was already somehow painted. I was going to redo all of that anyway, I just wished that whatever was painted wasn't also painted over the gluing surfaces... We'd find out soon enough



And then there were the track links. Getting them reasonably in shape and form would require some pondering, to avoid frustration. Over the years I've tried a few approaches, but nothing has really felt like the best solution yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment