Mastodon

21.2.24

Final twists of the screws

The end is nigh - again

After all, I decided to write a separate post of these last changes, so that I wouldn't again end up with an "by the way, I did this too but forgot to mention" sidenote somewhere. Those have been done, probably there were going to be more but not on purpose. All in all the model was almost finished.

Shovel supports

It took me a lifetime but I stole a moment to fix the green metal bits that held the shovels. Fixing them was a bit quicker without the antenna being on the way.


External light

In my earlier models I've consistently painted these driving lights metallic (chrome or steel), if they didn't come with a transparent bit. So for a change I decided to do something else and went with a grey gradient plan. I didn't want to do a strong jeweling effect but something less noticeable than a clear metallic paint or a dark grey bit.

For the base colour I chose my usual grey (VGA 72750 Cold Grey).

With the base drying I mixed some lighter grey (VGA 72749 Stonewall Grey) to the cold grey and painted a small circle to the lower right sector.

I added some more stonewall grey to mix a still lighter shade, and painted a smaller circle into the lower right area of the previous one. To the top left arc I added a tiny line with the same paint.

Finally I poked a pair of an even lighter grey to top the highlights, and plopped the turret in. I was thinking if I still ought to drybrush the top arc with off-white but decided against it, in fear of making a mess.

From this angle it looked lamplike enough to me. Had I been less lazy I'd carved the lamp open and made a lens from transparent thin plastic. I just didn't see that adding much value to the build, so this was good.


Antenna

All that was missing anymore was the antenna that got accidentally knocked off sometime earlier. I spent a bit of time looking for a clue for the actual colour of these things, but it didn't seem to be a popular subject for some reason. Dark grey was good for me, I didn't repaint it and just glued it on again.





For the statistics: the last one was the 198th photo for this project, but I hadn't shared quite all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment