Mastodon

21.8.19

Unique highlights

Pondering by my paint collection

I was perusing my paint collection and the first paint I picked was perhaps my least favourite of the light greys I owned (VMA 71121 USAF Light Grey), because I thought it'd be a nicely subtle one for this model in few select places. As the second one I opted for RLM light blue (VMA 71101 Hellblau RLM 78) and decided that two were just enough.

The chaoticness of the end result could've been increased by painting different masked-off boxes with different paints, to companse the symmetrical layout of the highlightable panels. I decided to paint them all symmetrically, anyway, and I didn't feel that this was going to make it boring. I was just somehow reminding myself how many approaches I could've taken here.

Filling the trapezoids

I started my painting process by airbrushing the light grey to the front boxes of the fixed wing and the long rectangles in the rear part of the bottom halves of the folding wings. Those just felt like the best candidates in my mind's eye for this shade that, as I said before, was not among my favourites.

All the remaining areas I painted with Luftwaffe's light blue that worked very nicely in this white-grey ship, in my opinion. The thought of adding a tiny amount of grey violet (RLM 75) did pop in my mind at some point, but I stuck to my original decision of using few colours.


Masklessness

The midpoint result after removing the masking tapes looked pretty neat. Maybe I'd still have to touch up on the fixed wing's left rear side with some insignia white, but otherwise I was more than content. Later on I'd wash the front and back areas of grey in the hull, but the white areas I most likely was going to leave as-is. I was somewhat afraid of even a light wash being too strong here.




No comments:

Post a Comment