Mastodon

27.4.22

Camouflaging the default Star

Patterning

The shape-breaking pattern I brushed on with grey (VG 72750 Cold Grey) just the way I had done a bunch of times before, while painting some Gamma Galaxy units. I pondered briefly if I should try a digicamo on some of these machines, but that would have to wait for an airbrushable mini. These were done using gut feeling and freehanding all the way.

Timber Wolf

My general understanding about camouflage has always been pretty much that the target's shape was to be broken. Following that my freehand patterns have relied much on a highish contrast in colours and splotches that didn't flow along the natural lines of the target.

Again the first shapes/forms to be broken were the boxy LRM 20 launchers, and from that on I mostly did tight diagonal slashes around the L/C/R Torso, Arms and Legs. I didn't fetch my old metallic Timber Wolves to compare, but while looking at the photo below I got the feeling I've done something pretty similar before.



Nova

While working on the Nova I didn't want immediately do another stripe-based pattern but instead started adding something more dotted. In a bulky machine that felt like a decent approach.




Executioner

The Executioner didn't inspire me with anything new or weird, so I went with a mostly tiger-stripey setup.


Adder

Again I wanted to do something else for the next consecutive 'Mech, so I started doing some flowy arcs. Starting from the top plate's front edge, I started painting a twisting and turning river. Following that I added more squigglies to keep the effect running around the piece.



Grendel

Being the last of fhe Star, Grendel got a bunch of different sized splotches painted on its surfaces. Those funky winglets near the cockpit and the left shoulder's shieldlike plate were the most noticeable things to brake apart, in my eyes. Once again the starting point gave a simple path to follow for the rest of the paintjob.


Elementals

My two-meter-tall friends were so tiny in this scale, despite being inhumanely large in stature, that I didn't really even try to make a specific tiny camo pattern on their Power Armour. I just added some grey areas here and there. The principle remained the same, anyway: disrupt the shape somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment