Mastodon

21.9.22

Nationality- and unit markings

The Combine roundel

Marking the Sword of Light units was still the same: on the left side a DCMS roundel with the dragon's colour telling the unit (a golden one for the 5th) and a flaming sword (a saber, based on the examples I'd seen) on the right side. The biggest problem here was still that I really didn't have any drawing skills, even less painting skills.



My roundel circles were not perfectly circular, surprise! My golden dragons (VMA 71066 Gold) again... well, being that small you couldn't tell much, but I had truly tried to copy the reference image.

5th Sword of Light

Having little idea of what I was doing I painted a saberlike thing (VMA 71065 Steel) with its handle on the right wing. The cross guard (I had to check the part names from wikipedia) I made out of the same gold I had already been using. Maybe it looked like a sword?

While these were drying I jumped on the canopy bits. For a simple effect I applied a fine layer of a 20+ year-old green wash (Citadel Green Wash).

Because I had started on this, I had to continue. The mandatory flame effect I painted as if I was watching Bob Ross: it was good, why did you make a mess of it now? Oh hey, it actually worked and the full piece became better thanks to the change. As it fit the theme, I borrowed some paint from the Project Assistant I (VGC 72008 Orange Fire).


No comments:

Post a Comment