Mastodon

8.7.20

Carriage work 1/2

The first evening

Being a nice boy I followed the instructions and started with the carriage. Perhaps I should've painted these pieces first, but that train went already. The first photo showed an interesting detail: working gears. I assumed that this meant that the cannon's elevation controls were actually working.

Parts of the gun's elevation mechanism

Behind the gun's breech block, in the end of the massive carriage a hydraulic rammer was to be built, for no one was going to ram the 272kg shells nor 385kg nuclear shells by hand. Nineteen long years later, I could almost hear the rattle of Giatsint-B's dragon's tongue when looking at this thing. Clearly time hasn't healed all wounds.

Loader parts

This was the subassembly that occupied the rear deck of the carriage. I didn't have the time to glue it into the righthand frame yet, or more accurately: I didn't want to glue it accidentally at an awful angle and realize it the next time I got to build. So I left it to wait for the next session when I was going to complete the frame itself.

Loader platform for the carriage

No comments:

Post a Comment